Login

Wax moth & Flow hives BEWARE core flute in base

  • 14 May 2017 3:59 PM
    Message # 4832105

    I recently went to check on my hive to strategise on what I would do from winter and found I had a considerable wax moth issue in the base of the hive (it's a flow hive base that comes with a core flute bottom cover that can be slid in and out in two positions) I was looking to close this up to the top slot for winter when I noticed the signs. I have now discarded the core flute (and replaced with a perspex) as you will see in the pics from dropbox link below here the moths have used its flutes to advantage.

    I have also elected to go with a hybrid 2nd box (of 3 - 4 flow frames that have varying amounts of honey and 2 standard frames) As the recent meeting gave 5 different expert opinions on how to winter down, I figure you do what you think is best in a trial and error scenario as the Flow is new not only in general but particularly as its the first 'southern' winter for the Flow system. I wait in anticipation for the wealth of info that will come for next season as we all try our craft. 

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ju07j7oky9yi07b/AAB_wPs6Vb95ReNdRr_tMBeDa?dl=0


    Last modified: 15 May 2017 9:10 AM | Andrew Wootton (Administrator)
  • 15 May 2017 9:23 AM
    Reply # 4833159 on 4832105
    Andrew Wootton (Administrator)

    I think this is an excellent strategy.  Rather than overwintering with a brood box plus 2 half-filled supers you have been able to compress down to brood plus one.

    My personal view is not to get too obsessed with packing down, but that removing completely empty boxes is probably a good idea. But when I hear of people removing half full supers of honey in order to reduce the number of boxes, I feel this is over the top (and that the bees may need the stores). 

    So you've achieved a sensible packdown nicely. We look forward to your spring report!

  • 23 Jun 2017 10:54 AM
    Reply # 4913534 on 4832105
    Julie Wiltshire

    Hi Anthony, 

    I am a first year beekeeping learner and have two flow hives in use since last November. I have been monitoring the hives for wax moth and small hive beetles.   I was able to manage them relatively well when the corflute was in the lower slot, as I could put on fluffy plastic backed material (cut up old plastic table cloth)  on the corflute to trap the pests which worked well. However you cannot leave this on when you put the corflute bottom board in the higher slot, as the bees will try and pull this up through the bottom screen and get trapped themselves. 

    With the onset of colder weather I put the corflute in the upper slot minus the fluffy material to trap the pests and checked less regularly, thinking it was fine now to do that.  After your alert I checked the corflute - sure enough - the wax moth and beetles were enjoying the corflute channels.. One hive corflute was much more affected than the other but both contained the wax moth larvae, and looked similar to your posted pictures.

    So for the moment I have sealed the corflute edges with tape as a temporary measure but I would like to know where you purchased perspex to replace the corflute. I have also added traps inside the hive. We are all on this learning journey together :-) Many thanks for alerting us to the problem and for sharing the pictures - very helpful.

Contact us

Meeting Address: Doncaster Secondary College, 123 Church Rd, Doncaster 3108

Email: mail@beekeepers.org.au

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software